I blog about j-pop and j-dramas, plus I’m critical of others (har, har) so I figured – who better to pass judgment on those subjects than me? (Rhetorical question.) It’s time for me to give my two cents on 2008.
And if you notice some heavy, heavy bias – well, everything is based solely on my and only my opinion. (:
Best Single*: Perfume – Baby Cruising Love/Macaroni
Both songs on this single are perfection. One is a danceable and fairly upbeat, while the other is mellow and almost acoustic, both showing the range of electronic music Perfume is capable of.
2. Aoyama Thelma – Soba ni Iru ne
3. Arashi – Truth/Kaze no Mukou e
4. NEWS – Happy Birthday
5. Fukuhara Miho – Himawari
*Single judgment based on all A-sides and B-sides in a single.
Best Album: Perfume – GAME
This album won by a long shot; full of a variety of technopop, from aggressive tracks to electropop to just danceable techno, it’s a perfect album.
2. Ikimonogakari – LIFE Album
3. Suzuki Ami – Supreme Show
4. Otsuka Ai – LOVE LETTER
5. NEWS – color
Best PV: Perfume – Secret Secret
Despite being pretty much a glorified Pino commercial, this video featured some of the most stunning visuals without seeming overdone, has an interesting concept, and holds a visual quality of being futuristic at times and old-fashioned cinema in the others. Just terrific.
2. NEWS – Summer Time
3. Double and Amuro Namie – Black Diamond
4. Arashi – Truth
5. Kuroki Meisa – Like This
Best Johnny’s Song: Arashi – One Love
Absolutely no competition this year. Gorgeous ballad that makes me want to go off and get married to Arashi. Well, even more than I do usually.
2. Arashi – Truth
3. Tegomass – Ai Ai Gasa
4. NEWS – Summer Time
5. Hey!Say!JUMP – Dreams come true
Best Drama: Ryusei no Kizuna (Fall)
It has everything: comedy, mystery, plot twists, heart-wrenching sob-moments, hot guys, pretty girls, decently good acting – if there’s one drama worth checking out this whole year, it’d have to be this.
2. Seigi no Mikata – extremely sweet and charming comedy; terrific acting.
3. 33 Pun Tantei (33 Minute Detective) – not that popular a drama, but I thought it was quirky and very amusing.
4. Maou – gets repetitive and overdramatic but overall an engaging plot with good acting and mood.
5. Last Friends – gets repetitive plotwise, but has great acting and some convoluted yet relatable and unforgettable characters.
And… that’s it! 2008 was undeniably the year of Perfume (for me, at least.) Here’s to hoping for the best in 2009. 🙂
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment